Please add an option to enter a character's meaning and pronunciation at the same time

When being quizzed on a character or word, I would much prefer to enter both the meaning and the pronunciation at the same time for the following reasons:

1. I want to recall both the meaning and pronunciation at the same time because when I’m reading Chinese (especially dialogue), I don’t want to know the meaning without simultaneously knowing how it sounds (and vice versa).
  2. Despite the recent UI improvements, I still frequently enter in a character/word’s meaning when prompted for its sound and vice versa, wasting time. I think this would eliminate this issue more completely.
  3. If characters had two text boxes instead of one, then they would be visually distinct from components which would only have one text box. Despite the color change, I still frequently enter character meaning/pronunciation when prompted with a component and vice versa. I think having a different number of text boxes should help me avoid making this mistake.
1 Like

One caveat with this approach is if you get a pronunciation or meaning wrong, you might need to type both again. I personally would be 100% okay with this because for me it would be outweighed by the amount of time I save no longer redoing prompts where I type the pronunciation instead of the meaning and vice versa. (I wouldn’t mind reinforcing the mnemonic of the character/word I got wrong anyway.) However, if this was a major annoyance for people, there could plausibly be an option to automatically fill in the part they already got right.

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback!

I can see the utility of being able to answer both meaning and pronunciation at the same time, since the mnemonic recall process fetches both of them into memory when answering either of those. This could be done by simply having the two questions for a given item always show up in order instead of separately and randomly.

4 Likes

Another thing I’ve run into lately is sometimes it’s hard to find the time to finish all my reviews in one sitting, and so there’s a risk of losing my progress when Android does power saving; perhaps this might help with that as well.

so there’s a risk of losing my progress when Android does power saving

what does that mean?

When you want to finish up your reviews without losing any progress, you can use the “Wrap up button”.

review-wrap-up-4c074ae96398db2462f59793e8fe5df1

More info in the docs.

2 Likes

Oh awesome, that helps a lot

2 Likes