Increase daily New Cards Limit

Hi Team!

Recently, I feel that on many days, 20 lessons a day is not enough for me and I find myself messing with the Timezone settings to get some extra new words. The reason for this are

  1. I do a lot of reading and I want to immediately study new characters/words I encounter, rather than queueing them and studying them the next day.

  2. I encounter many words I “kind of know”, which I can guess or I know the character but not the mnemonic etc. Words like 日日 or 前面 which don’t really need studying or a complex mnemonic. Or words I already know the meaning but nor pronunciation or vice versa. But they will crowd up the daily lessons, so often I find myself skipping those because I want to make more progress on actual new characters. I would rather just study them but still have more new characters. Also, I would like to add the HSK1 and HSK2 characters I already know to my deck, without having to pause my normal lessons for a few weeks.

  3. my retention rate is like 97% mostly so I feel I can learn more every day. I know you’re working on this with the improved scheduling.

There are different options how this could be solved for me:

  1. just add more levels for the daily limit, like 30, 40 new cards etc. You could put this in the danger zone or add a warning that it will lead to a high review load and has to be used cautiously. I also don’t intend to have this forever, but now when many lessons are familiar characters or components, I feel I can do extra study.

  2. another idea I had is to have an option toggle like “ignore daily lesson limits for prioritized items”. Basically, if I already used up my 20 lessons, but I put something in my priority queue, I can study the queue items even if I am over the daily limit. This would maybe be my preferred solution. And could add a warning or counter to show when I am adding too many new cards in a day. Or, have two separate buttons, one for non-queued lessons with limit, and one for queued lessons without limit, or different one.

  3. add a “study now” option for the character/word view screen where we can study it just once to add it to our deck.

  4. add a “extra new lessons” button, which can be used after the 20 regular reviews are used up, to have another 5 new items session etc.

Something else, I wish dictionary items would be incorporated into the normal reviews and not added at the end. Because sometimes, I see dictionary items while their characters are still in my queue and I didn’t see them yet (this would also be fixed by my solution number 2).

Anyway, thank you for the amazing app and let’s make it even more amazing :heart_eyes:

Hi, welcome to the forum!

Do you mean the lessons in this case? This was just fixed if you disable the “respect daily limits & lesson order” setting just added :slight_smile: the requirement to learn the characters before seeing the dictionary word can be lifted in the settings, as well

I do wonder if there’s a way to integrate dictionary items into the lesson queue without this setting, but haven’t found an obvious solution yet :thinking:

As for bumping the limits, I’ll have to give it more thought. The current daily limit selections are deliberate, to make sure the review load stays manageable :grimacing: Still, I know it can be frustrating, especially in your situation where you already are cementing a lot and have the bandwidth for more. It seems in your current case the current Extra Study modes aren’t necessarily helpful. Do you have any other quiz types in mind you feel would be a good use of time, of what you learned? e.g. pinyin → meaning, audio, meaning → characters, etc