Feature request: set daily word limit

I’ve my limit set to the maximum of 20 items/day.
10 items are consistently filled with new words. After subtracting the component tax, I’m left with 4-5 character lessons per day on average.

It’s hard for HH to keep up with my studies at this rate.

I would be incredibly grateful for a feature that would allow the user to choose a daily word limit, or to disable new words altogether.

Most are swiftly learned through context, at least at my beginner level.
In contrast to Japanese, words– mostly– don’t carry essential pronunciation information, so they don’t seem like a core necessity for Hanzi acquisition.

Words are great, and very much a welcome feature of HH.
I love studying them here, but I would like to do so without it eating into daily character bandwidth.
Perhaps, if they were somehow treated as a separate entity, that would be ideal.

But for now, a feature that would allow to adjust the nozzle on the IV drip of words would already be an absolute life alterer.

Ps.
I understand that proportions will even out over time.
Given the current curriculum, the hypothetical average daily lesson makeup looks very reasonable.
Still, a feature to control daily word lessons would be massive as an aid in avoiding bottlenecks.

Thank you for the great product.

3 Likes

Hey Tom, thanks for the feedback! I totally understand where you are coming from. Word/character balance is something we are hoping to improve, especially since there are a variety of differing user preferences/perspectives around it.

From my perspective, the main reason we add words is primarily for character meaning/pronunciation reinforcement (rather than vocab acquisition alone). In my experience, it is better for someone to learn e.g., both 蘋 and 蘋果 and be quizzed on the two for a total of e.g., 20 total times than it is for someone to just be quizzed on 蘋 alone 20 times. That connection between the character and the word - and even if it is a word already known (and in this case, has the same meaning) - I think better cements the mnemonic/memorization of the character alone. One of my own personal regrets when learning all of the characters I know through HanziHero was not having at least 1/2 related word lessons for each to better reinforce the character meaning/pronunciation.

This structure also reflects how (in my view) the Chinese view or relate to many of the characters. Looking at a Chinese dictionary, the entry for e.g. 蘋 will nearly always solely contain the text: “蘋果” and nothing more. I.e., characters are in some cases defined semi-tautologically through word examples.

I hope that gives you a better background on why things are configured the way they are, currently.

In terms of making the number of word lessons controllable, I’m definitely open to looking into exposing that as an advanced option at some point!

However, I’d like to dig in a bit more:

1. When you say “I understand that proportions will even out over time” what are your referring to exactly? Are you referring to the fact that there will be proportionately more characters over time due to all the components being learned?
  2. For your current 20 lessons/day configuration, what sort of proportions do you view as ideal?
  3. Or, if not as proportion and merely as a static max-word-lesson number, what sort of one would you like to set?

Thanks again for the feedback!

(edit: it seems to me the best solution in general would be a simple “max word lessons day” configurable limit or similar, but will need to think about it some more)

2 Likes

In your case, do you mainly want to skip past known hanzi? 5 a day every day is quite a lot, and as you probably know the components can’t possibly remain at 1-1 per new hanzi for very long, so eventually that’s gonna look like 9 a day.

I have the same ask from the opposite end. It doesn’t matter much right now, but if/when the curriculum gets > 70 new words per week, it would be nice to be able to do more than 10 vocab a day. Components are a non-factor as I basically do 1/week right now, and I only want to do 6 hanzi/day.

2 Likes

Thank you for clarifying your philosophy.

I completely share your view on words.

Most are swiftly learned through context, at least at my beginner level.
In contrast to Japanese, words– mostly– don’t carry essential pronunciation information, so they don’t seem like a core necessity for Hanzi acquisition.

I mistakenly left it in this paragraph (building on a different point), which might look like I’m disputing the basic merit of word study. I’d discard it, but I can’t seem to find the edit button.

1. For your current 20 lessons/day configuration, what sort of proportions do you view as ideal?

The ideal situation is one where I can adjust the word/character proportions based on the ebbs and floods within my language learning.

• If I’m gearing up to tackle an episode of 佩佩豬, I’d like to have the option to flood my feed with a couple baker’s dozen prioritized characters related to the content (barring words altogether, temporarily). I face the content with some half-baked comprehension, and I’m left reviewing the characters after. Fun.
    ^(same goes for post content consumption character prioritization floods)
  • If I feel like I’m sinking too deep into de-contextualized Hanzi study, I’d turn up the word bandwidth (eg. 20 words/day) for a few days until I feel like I have a grasp on the learned material again.
  • On an average day of study, I’d probably go for similar proportions to what HH offers now. 2-3 words lighter, perhaps.

The first two examples are more or less hypothetical (and illustrate extremes). As a new learner, I’ve no way of knowing how my approach will morph over time. Nonetheless, the freedom to play around with different approaches (within an otherwise fairly structured program) would be huge. Not only in a practical sense but also when it comes to the basic enjoyment factor.
Even if left unused, the proposed word knob would discard the sense of a completely imposed learning structure— which can be demotivating for some.

(I’m assuming—) People will use HanziHero in different language learning contexts, and with varying goals.
For some, this may be a less soul-drenching (and more effective) direct alternative to Heisig.
In this case, for example, building any kind of practical comprehension would only be a nice bonus.
The goal, in this case, could be, to build a system of character memorization and recognition as fast as possible. Disregarding most nuance in favor of building a very broad, though scantily built, Hanzi foundation.

It’s fair to argue that such an approach would be objectively less effective at teaching you the language. That doesn’t bar the potential fun factor a Hanzi-grind like this could bring to some people, however.

Perhaps this hypothetical user is the underwhelming minority. But accommodating this type doesn’t seem to take much away from the regular user (unlike the dangers of allowing higher daily limits, for example)

1. When you say “I understand that proportions will even out over time” what are your referring to exactly? Are you referring to the fact that there will be proportionately more characters over time due to all the components being learned?

I was (mistakenly) referring to the current total number of characters and words. Averaged out.
I failed to factor in your goal of having 8000 vocabulary elements in the final version of the application. Please disregard this comment.

My apologies for somewhat yappy of a message. I hope I’m making sense.

2 Likes

Wanted to follow up and say that we plan to add an advanced setting that allows controlling the daily number of word lessons. Probably will be added in the next month or so. :+1:

2 Likes

That’s amazing news :pray: Thank you for the update!

1 Like